Alternative Treatment for Somatoform Disorders
Somatoform Disorders are a type of mental disorder which is usually characterized by a group of conditions which includes pain and other psychological factors. A mental disorder is a psychiatric disorder which causes significant changes and impairment of functioning. It usually involves significant disturbances in emotional behavior. According to DSM-IV, a mental disorder is a psychological syndrome associated with various symptoms such as distress and disability. It may be occasional and long-lasting (chronic). There are different types of mental health disorders such as Mood disorder, Anxiety disorder and Psychotic disorder. In this article, we are going to discuss its signs, symptoms and its ayurvedic aspect in detail.
It is a mental disorder which is characterized by physical illness and injury and is usually known as somatic symptom disorder and somatization disorder. It causes stress and anxiety which is usually characterized by mental illness. Somatoform disorders are a set of psychological conditions. It was first described by Paul Briquet in 1859 and was known as Briquet's syndrome. Its symptoms are categorized into 4 categories such as neurological, cardiac, pain and gastrointestinal somatic symptoms. It is a severe form of somatisation which causes great distress, where anxiety and depression play an important role and some physical symptoms such as a Thumping heart.
TYPES OF SOMATOFORM DISORDER
Different Somatoform disorders are distinguished by various factors such as emotions, thoughts and multiple actions. There are seven types of somatoform conditions which include-
- Somatization disorder
- Conversion disorder
- Pain disorder
- Body Dysmorphic disorder
- Other specific somatic symptoms
1. Somatization Disorder
It varies from person to person and there is no physical condition. It persists for several years and involves pain, stomach issues and various neurological problems.
2. Conversion Disorder
It is an expression of psychology which involves loss of physical functions and has various neurological symptoms and is commonly known as Functional Neurological symptom disorder). It includes symptoms such as-
- Abnormal movements (tremors, seizures)
- Loss of sensation and numbness
3. Pain Disorder
It is usually characterized by recurring pain in one or more parts of the body with no cause.
It usually occurs when people are preoccupied with a concern that they have a serious issue. For example, it is believed that a minor headache is a sign of a brain tumor. The physical symptoms may be real or imagined.
5. Body Dysmorphic Disorder
It is a preoccupation with an imagined defect in a normal-appearing person.
6. Other Specific Somatic Disorder
It occurs which is less than six months and involves a condition known as Pseudocyesis (false belief). It usually includes false signs such as cessation of menstrual period, breast changes and fetal movement.
It is usually associated with-
- Genetic and biological factors- It usually increases sensitivity to pain
- The influence of the family can be genetic or environmental
- Negative emotions and poor self-image
- Difficulty in healing stress
- Decreased emotional awareness
- Increasing mobility from pain behavior
- Specific sensations such as pain and shortness of breath Fatigue and weakness
- Pain is the most common symptom of excessive thoughts and feelings
- Persistent worry
- Excessive visits to hospital and physician
- Interpretation of normal sensation which is indicated as severe physical sickness
- Repeatedly examining the body or any sign of illness
- Mild symptoms such as runny nose
The main goal of the treatment is to improve the symptom.
- Psychotherapy - It is helpful in reducing stress and improves daily functioning and reduces avoidance of various situations and activities.
- Antidepressant medications
LIFESTYLE AND VARIOUS HOME REMEDIES
- Practice stress management and various relaxation techniques
- Calm your mood and improves physical functions
- Participates in various activities
- Avoid alcohol and recreational drugs
- Poor health
- Physical disability
- The problem at work/unemployment
- Increased suicide risk
- Financial problems
According to ayurveda, there are mainly three manas doshas- Sattva, Rajas and Tamas. These Sattva doshas especially suggest purity and quality of mind. Rajas Doshas represent the Dynamism and activity of the mind. Tamas Doshas represent Darkness. And this vitiation leads to all types of Mental disorders.
Ayurveda is an ancient science of life which proposes the concept of Doshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha). The abnormalities in any doshas lead individuals to be diseased. Vata doshas are responsible for the function of all systems and maintain the whole body and its subtypes are Prana, Udana, Vyana, Samana and Apana. There is a unique concept in ayurveda which is explained well as Avarana. Avarana means covering and free-flowing Vata is obstructed with Pitta and Kapha, various tissues and excreta. In Avarana, Vata gets blocked by many things. The symptoms of Pitta and Kapha are not due to vitiated pitta and kapha but are due to pull by the force of Vata. Usually, there are 2 mechanisms of vitiation of Vata-
- Marga Avarana
- Obstruction in the movements of Vata by tissues.
- Obstruction of Vyana Vayu by Prana Vayu.
- Withholding the natural urges of the body leads to an aggravation of Vata which obstructs its pathway.
- Damage to various tissues
- Deficient nutrition for tissues
This leads to Prakopa of Vata Doshas and enormous depletion of tissues. When Prana Vayu gets obstructed there are symptoms which are manifested as below-
- Feeling of emptiness
In ayurveda, there are three types of chikitsa-
- Daivavyapasraya Chikitsa - It is the chikitsa which refers to performing measures like Mantra (incantation), Ausadhi (Wearing herbs) and Mani (Wearing gems). It is helpful in All types of Manasvikara in both Psychosis and Neurosis.
- Yuktivyapasraya Chikitsa (Rational therapy) - It refers to the use of Ahara (diet) and Aushadi (drugs). This Antahparimarjan Chikitsa, it is done with -
- Samshodhana Chikitsa - Tridoshas are deranged with Raja and Tamas so purification therapy is suggested which maintains the homeostasis in the body. Various treatment procedures are - Vaman (emetic therapy), Virechan (Purgation), Nasya (Nasal Therapy) and Abhyanga (massage).
- Sanshamana (Palliative Therapy) - When purification therapy is completed Shamana and Rasayan procedures are done to arrange the mind to normal. In this Rasaushadhi, Vati, Churna and Ghrit are given.
HERBS USEFUL IN SOMATOFORM DISORDERS
- BRAHMI - Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) is the famous gift of Ayurveda which is helpful in improving intelligence and memory. Has anti-inflammatory properties and is useful in all types of psychiatric disorders. Improves intelligence and digestion power. Reduces the blood sugar level and has an antioxidant property which improves cell and tissue health.
- ASHWAGANDHA - Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is a powerful gift in Ayurveda which is helpful in the treatment of anxiety and depression. Has antioxidant properties which boost the immune system and develop stamina and strength. Good for the health of the heart and maintains the proper flow of blood in the body.
- SHALPARNI - Shalparni (Desmodium gangeticum) has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which neutralize free radicals. It is helpful in improving digestion and maintains the good flow of blood in the body and HDL levels. Act as a laxative which is helpful in easy passage of stools.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA FOR SOMATOFORM DISORDERS
Planet Ayurveda is an Illustrious and recognized organization which offers many herbal products worldwide and is prepared under the supervision of expert ayurvedic doctors. These formulations are safe and free from any kind of adulterations, preservatives and other chemicals. These herbal supplements act on the body and correct the imbalance of doshas without causing any side effects. Planet Ayurveda provides herbal supplement which is helpful in this disease and the following are the medications-
- NEUROGENIE CAPSULES
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
- PHYLLANTHUS NIRURI
- KALYANAKA GHRITA
1. Neurogenie Capsules
Neurogenie Capsules are polyherbal capsules from the planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) and Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). It is helpful in tackling all types of neurological problems and balances the Vata Doshas in the body and thus nourishes the neurons which stimulate the functions to work properly.
Dosage - 2 capsules twice daily after meals.
2. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia Curcumin is a polyherbal capsule which is formulated by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa). These capsules have anti-inflammatory properties and maintain healthy joints and have a neuroprotective activity which maintains the cardiovascular system.
Dosage - 1 capsule twice daily after meals.
3. Phyllanthus Niruri
Phyllanthus Niruri is a single herbal capsule made by planet Ayurveda using a standardized extract of Bhumi Amla (Phyllanthus Niruri). This capsule has many medicinal properties which are helpful in all types of liver functions and is a natural blood purifier. It reduces oxidative stress and promotes the antioxidant mechanism of the cells.
Dosage - 1 capsule twice daily after meals.
4. Kalyanaka Ghrit
Kalyanaka Ghrit is the classical ayurvedic product which is formulated by planet ayurveda using various ingredients such as Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bhibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Devadaru (Cedrus deodara), Prishniparni (Uraria picta), Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) and many more. This ghrit is helpful in all types of neurological diseases and acts as a laxative and is known as a brain tonic. Helpful in all types of inflammatory conditions.
Dosage - 1 teaspoon twice daily after meals with warm water or milk.
Saraswatarisht is a classical ayurvedic product which is formulated by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Adrak (Zingiber officinale), Vacha (Acorus calamus) and many more. It has antioxidant properties and is helpful in brain health. Helpful in all types of digestive properties so act as a laxative and carminative.
Dosage - 2 teaspoon twice daily after meals.
Somatoform Disorders are a type of mental disorder which is usually characterized by a group of conditions which includes pain and other psychological factors. It usually involves significant disturbances in emotional behavior. It was first described by Paul Briquet in 1859 and was known as Briquet's syndrome. According to ayurveda, there are mainly three manas doshas- Sattva, Rajas and Tamas. Further Planet ayurveda provided many herbal supplements for this disease which is helpful in managing the disease without causing any side effects.